Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 5 - The Lake District (Tish)

The North of England is the most beautiful place I have seen in England thus far. The rolling hills, the sheep and the lake all served as a perfect background for any piece of literature. It was a very serene setting and just the drive through seemed to calm my body and mind and bring me to a new place both spiritually and physically.
Although today included a large amount of sitting on a bus, I think that today was the day thus far that has effected me most profoundly. By visiting the home of the great poet, Wordsworth, I felt that I was better able to understand the Romantic Period in general. The Romantic Period is my favorite period of British Literature because of the connection to nature that is so present in many of the poems and novels of the time. I have always found that nature inspires me to write or even just to think more clearly. After looking at the view outside the window above Wordsworth's writing desk I thought about how inspirational that view was. I then decided to go out into the garden and look at a similar view to do some writing of my own. The beauty of the surroundings was so pure that I felt like an intruder. I felt as if no one else had quite had the same moment I was having and that I was sharing something very special with the poet who had once lived there. His poems as well as his home served as a great inspiration to me.
The driving, too, helped serve as a reminder of the period the works were written in. The location was very remote even by today's standards and that helped to keep the location less "tourist-y" than some of the other locations we have visited so far. This added to the purity of the setting and the bus ride home also allowed me time to reflect upon the experience.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Tish-I too am very fond of the Romantic Period in Literature. I find that it seems to be some of the most inspired writing and poetry. These are poems and stories that I feel I can relate most to and yet also have an idyllic quality to them. I find that more often than not, I can lose myself in the works of Wordsworth. It was very interesting to see what inspired him. While we know that he was inspired by nature itself, I think it made it easier to relate to by seeing exactly what parts of nature were his inspiration. Whick gardens, which trees, which streams, etc. His home certainly was one to inspire creativity. He certainly had a knack for such things.

Anonymous said...

dude.. that is so true. wordsworth is like rad. i was so inspired that i wrote like all kinds of stuff about trees. the romantic period is my favorite too. atleast from about 1800 to 1825. its my favorite period inbetween those years in england and in poetry. i love the wilderness and especially bears, cuz they rock- you know it. wordsworth's house was increadibly inspiring and i know NO one felt it like you did. that is completely condense and supreme, it was so sweet. it really makes you wonder what everything means like, why do names matter? and what do words really acomplish. like it is just an outlet of creativity to use them in strange ways like the way the clouds can give shelter from the sun to something and sufficate another. the road winds through the night and becomes hazy and when we awaken, we find ourselves at wordsworths desk, standing, with no cloths.